The Best Features For Windows 10 1909
As of November 12, 2019, the Windows 10 1909 update is available for everyone. It doesn’t contain huge changes because they focussed more on enhancing and optimizing existing tools and applications.
Advanced features, notifications, and shortcuts for applications
This is one of the biggest changes in the 1909 version of Windows 10. You can manage your application and system applications such as:
- System notifications will now be clickable, this way you land directly in that specific application
- There are new options in the Notifications Settings which allow you to mute apps
- You get a Manage notifications shortcut in the Action Center
- Specific notification types get new icons.
Windows 10 Calendar update
The most significant update can be found in the Windows Calendar application. You now have the possibility to add events to the calendar without the necessity to open the whole Calendar application. Microsoft also added a shortcut to open the main Calendar application.
The Windows 10 version 1909 had a few performance and quality enhancements:
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) unlocks pre-release feature updates for IT Admins using WSUS
- Windows Update for Business (WUfB) will give you the latest updates in the same way that you have for prior feature updates.
- Windows Defender Credential Guard is available for ARM64 devices
- Microsoft BitLocker and Mobile Device Management (MDM) with Azure Active Directory work together to offer optimal protection for your devices
- Key-rolling and Key-rotation, these two new features will prevent accidental recovery password disclosure
- Transport Layer Security (TLS) version 1.3 has been implemented (experimental) in the 1909 version.
Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD)
This is now available worldwide. It’s a desktop and application virtualization service that is running in the cloud. It offers simplified management of your devices.
Microsoft Endpoint Manager
Microsoft has now bundled the Configuration Manager, Intune, Desktop Analytics, Co-Management and Device Management Admin Console into the Microsoft Endpoint Manage.
There is a new version (18.104.22.168) of SetupDiag available. This is a command tool that can help you diagnose your Windows 10.
Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit (ADK)
There will be no update of the Windows ADK in the 1909 version so you can keep on using the previous one without any issue.
Desktop Analytics is a cloud-connected service that can give you data-driven insights concerning your Windows installations. This is now available worldwide!
Microsoft Connected Cache
Installed on Windows Server or Linux, Connected Cash is set up to be a solution that caches content that devices on your network need.
There are also a few other changes in the 1909 update
A lot of ‘small’ changes that make a big difference:
- When you’re hovering over the sidebar shortcuts, you’ll get more helpful tips
- Voice control for third-party AI assistants
- Windows can now display a notification if the Function (Fn) key is pressed
- Some other technical changes like improved battery life.